Friday, July 19, 2013

[Guide] Windows Explorer troubles in Windows 8 and a possible fix

In the last few days, I had been using Windows 8 predominantly on my work PC. It's easier to use the same OS at home and at work. It was pretty good at the beginning, but starting yesterday, it got really sluggish and acting up.

I had to fix some bugs in the cloud printing application. We have a tool for testing it. We have to load up different settings files for different test scenarios and whenever I selected the test scenarios written in the form of XML, it would take about 5 seconds to actually show it up in the GUI. Usually there is no such delay. The tool is written in Win32.
 
When testing the performance through the testing tool, the actual rendering would finish quickly, but it would take another 10 seconds or so to output the rendered PRN file. Again, usually there is no such delay.
 
Another issue was that when I did some file/folder operation such as creating, renaming, moving files and folders, Windows Explorer wouldn’t reflect the result of that operation on the UI. I have to press F5 key to refresh Windows Explorer and only then it would be reflected on the UI.
 
Something definitely was acting up. It seems that all these things were related. Windows Explorer could be the culprit. The easiest thing for me to do was to create another user account and see if I could reproduce the same issues. I couldn’t. I didn’t think all those mishaps was because my user profile was corrupted. But it seemed that was the case.
 
So I followed the same thing that I did on my Windows 7 installation few days ago. It worked fine for Windows 8 as well. Now all is back to where it should be. No lags or Explorer issues.
 
Bad Windows! BAD!
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...